Calculating damages in a wrongful death case can get complex very quickly, especially in uncertain circumstances such as the loss of a child, an elderly family member or a person who had not been working recently. Damages in a wrongful death case take into account a number of factors, including the loss of your loved one's companionship, his or her contribution to your family, any monetary losses and projections for the future.
If you have questions about calculating compensation in a wrongful death case, contact one of our attorneys to schedule a free consultation to discuss your options.
Settlement Vs. Verdicts
There are a number of outcomes that can happen in any wrongful death case, and our attorneys have been handling these cases for decades, so we know what you can expect. If those responsible for your loved one's wrongful death are not being reasonable, we are not afraid to take your case to trial. Our ability to negotiate a beneficial settlement for you and your family is strengthened in the early stages, and we consistently get successful results for our clients without having to take their cases to trial.
What Is Included In The Calculation
In Illinois, the calculation of the damages due to you and your family depend upon a number of factors outlined in the state laws. Under consideration are often:
- The age of the decedent, including unborn children, stillborn children, minors, adult children, working adults, nonworking adults and elderly persons
- Any money, goods, services, benefits or other contributions provided to the family by the decedent when he or she was living
- Any future contributions expected (this can include an adult who was going to school but had not yet gotten a job in the workforce)
- Overall health, including physical and mental health
- Grief and mental suffering of loved ones left behind
We know that no amount of damages recovered can replace the loved one you have lost, but we will do everything we can to ensure that you receive the best possible compensation.
Reach Out To Learn More
Monetary damages in wrongful death cases can be the trickiest part of the process, so it is important that you work with a lawyer with experience handling these delicate cases. We are strong advocates for our clients, and will do everything we can to make your case as smooth and efficient as possible. Call 312-445-9034 or toll free 888-837-3275 to schedule your free initial consultation.