On St. Patrick's Day, many festivities will be taking place throughout Chicago. Whether you're out with friends or enjoying the day with family, celebrate responsibly and consider the potential consequences that can arise when having a few turns into a few too many.
Drunk driving isn't about bad luck, it's a bad decision
In Chicago and elsewhere throughout the country, drunk driving accidents are a serious concern on St. Patrick's Day. Although you may have laid out a plan for avoiding getting behind the wheel, it's also important to ensure your friends and others in your party don't make the mistake of driving drunk. All too often, people who think they are sober enough to drive get behind the wheel and cause serious, even life-threatening accidents. The NHTSA reports that from 2009 to 2013, there were 276 fatalities from drunk driving on St. Patrick's Day.
Preparation can promote safety
You can help prevent drunk driving accidents by taking a few simple steps to prepare for your day out, including:
- Use a designated driver: Plan ahead with friends to ensure there is a designated driver to get you home safely.
- Use public transit: Don't drive, take a bus, train or call a cab.
- Avoid driving altogether: Instead of going out, have a get-together at your place and invite guests to spend the night if they're concerned about getting home.
- Prevent drunk driving by being honest with your friends: If your friend has had too much, let him or her know. Don't let your friends get behind the wheel if they are drunk. You can save lives by helping your friends make good decisions.
- Be alert on the roads: If you are driving on St. Patrick's Day, particularly at night, be extra defensive.
There's no reason to leave your safety and the safety of others to chance. Develop a plan before going out to better enusre everyone in your group has a pleasant experience.
If you are injured in an accident, the attorneys at Seidman Margulis & Fairman, LLP, can help you pursue compensation and move through your recovery. They are an established personal injury firm helping accident victims throughout Chicago.