Chicago Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, company, or entity, we understand that you are going through an incredibly difficult time. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our compassionate and experienced team is ready to help. When you need a Chicago wrongful death attorney, we will investigate every aspect of your claim in order to secure the compensation you need and gain the closure you deserve.
Why Choose Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP For Your Wrongful Death Case?
After experiencing something as traumatic as the loss of a loved one, you need a team with vast experience handling personal injury and wrongful death cases. Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP is ready to help.
- We are committed to offering personalized attention to every client, which means we will take the time to get to know you and your family’s unique situation.
- We will not hesitate to take on any defendant, and we are not afraid to take a case to trial in order to secure the maximum possible compensation.
- We take Chicago wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that grieving family members will owe no upfront or out-of-pocket costs for their case. We only collect legal fees after securing the compensation families deserve.
What Will An Attorney Do For A Wrongful Death Case?
Chicago wrongful death cases can become incredibly complex. In most cases, family members do not have the legal experience or resources necessary to conduct thorough investigations into the incident. A wrongful death attorney in Chicago will be responsible for:
- Obtaining all evidence related to the wrongful death. This can include any video or photo surveillance from the incident, eyewitness statements, accident reports, and more. For cases involving companies or other entities, this could involve obtaining safety records and internal organizational memos.
- Working with economic and medical experts to properly calculate the total losses the deceased’s family members have incurred.
- Handling communication with all parties involved, including insurance carriers and legal teams, to reach a fair settlement for the deceased’s family members.
Chicago Wrongful Death Cases Arise In Various Ways
According to 740 Illinois Compiled Statutes 180, wrongful death occurs “Whenever the death of a person shall be caused by the wrongful act, neglect or default, and the act, neglect or default is such as would, if death had not ensued, have entitled the party injured to maintain an action and recover damages.”
Anytime someone is killed due to the negligent, careless, or intentional actions of another, the deceased person’s family has the right to recover compensation that the deceased would have been entitled to how they lived as well, as well as compensation for their own losses caused by the death.
At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our Chicago wrongful death lawyers regularly help families of victims who have passed due to the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Children’s injuries
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice claims
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Premises liability incidents
- Birth injuries
- Workplace accidents
- Electrocution and explosion incidents
- Construction site injuries
This is certainly not an all-inclusive list of the ways wrongful deaths occur. Please speak to our Chicago wrongful death attorneys about the particular facts relating to your case when making a decision about whether to pursue a claim.
Who Can Bring Wrongful Death Claims In Illinois?
Under Illinois law, wrongful death claims need to be filed by the personal representative of the deceased’s estate. In many cases, the personal representative will be a close relative, such as:
- The spouse of the deceased person
- The adult child of the deceased person
- The parent of a minor child who is deceased
- If a person died without appointing a personal representative to their estate, the court may appoint a personal representative (usually a close relative).
What Damages are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
There are various types of compensation available to family members in the aftermath of the wrongful death. Settlements or jury verdicts in these cases are meant to provide compensation for both economic and non-economic losses a family may sustain, including the following:
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of future earnings of the deceased
- Loss of care and companionship of the deceased
- Loss of consortium damages
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Coverage of any medical bills incurred before death
The total amount of compensation awarded to family members in these cases will vary depending on the specific factors related to their case. Damages in Illinois wrongful death claims are distributed by the court to the deceased’s surviving spouse and/or their next of kin, based on their level of dependency on the deceased person.
What Is The Chicago Wrongful Death Statute Of Limitations in Illinois?
Every state is responsible for setting a time limit for how long victims have to file wrongful death claims against alleged negligent parties. These time limits are called statutes of limitation. In Illinois, the time limit for wrongful death claims is dictated by the statute of limitations of the underlying cause of death or within one year from the date of the deceased person’s death, whichever date is later.
For example, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Illinois is two years. This means that representatives of wrongful death victims in cases caused by injuries will have at least one year, and as much as two years, to file their lawsuit against the alleged negligent party.
Wrongful death statutes of limitation can be complicated to understand, and we strongly advise you to speak to a Chicago wrongful death attorney at Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP as soon as possible.
Additional Information: Wrongful Death Lawsuit FAQs
Contact A Chicago Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person or entity, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our compassionate and experienced team of wrongful death lawyers will investigate every aspect of your claim in order to secure justice and compensation on your behalf. When you need a Chicago wrongful death attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (312) 781-1977.