Chicago Truck Accident Lawyer
Commercial trucks are responsible for moving goods all over this country and in the Chicago area. However, if you or a loved one have been injured in an accident caused by a negligent truck driver or trucking company, contact Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP today.
Our Chicago truck accident attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and work to secure any compensation you are entitled to.
Truck Accident Resources
- Why Choose Our Truck Accident Lawyers
- Common Types of Truck Accident Injuries
- Compensation Available in a Truck Accident Claim
- Free Consultation With a Truck Accident Attorney Today
Why Hire Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP?
- Our exclusive focus on personal injury law gives us a high level of specialization and unique insights into the litigation process involved in commercial truck accident cases.
- We will not hesitate to take a case to trial if that is what is necessary to secure maximum compensation.
- We take Chicago truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients pay no upfront or out-of-pocket costs for their case. Clients owe nothing until we secure the compensation they deserve.
Why Do You Need An Attorney For A Truck Accident Claim?
Truck accident cases can become incredibly complicated and often involve multiple potentially liable parties. Victims are going to need a Chicago truck accident lawyer with extensive resources and legal experience.
A Chicago car accident attorney will be able to obtain all evidence from the crash scene and be able to look into the history of the truck driver and trucking company involved. An attorney will negotiate with every party involved to obtain a fair settlement on behalf of the client.
Truck Accidents Often Lead To Catastrophic Injuries
Crashes involving large trucks can be devastating. While these incidents only accounted for 3.8% of the overall crashes during the state’s latest reporting year, they were responsible for 11.1% of all traffic crash fatalities, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation.
How Common Are Tractor-Trailer Accidents?
All told, the Illinois DOT says that tractor-trailers caused 12,267 total crashes during the latest year of data we have available. Due to the size and weight of these vehicles, it is not uncommon for survivors in passenger vehicles to sustain severe injuries. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our Chicago truck accident lawyers regularly help clients who have sustained the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries or amputations
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
All too often, we find that these accidents are caused by the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company. This can include a failure of a driver to follow hours of service requirements put in place by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
It is also not uncommon for a truck crash to be caused by vehicle failure due to a lack of inspection or maintenance by truck owners.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Unfortunately, there are in variety of causes of truck accidents in and around the Chicago area. This city is a hotbed of commercial activity, and much of that activity depends on large trucks. There are a variety of ways that these accidents can occur. Of course, there are times when drivers of passenger vehicles can cause these accidents. However, there are also times when the actions of truck drivers or trucking companies can also cause serious accidents.
- Truck drivers. It is vital that all truck drivers obtain their commercial driver’s license and thoroughly understand how to operate each vehicle they are asked to drive. Importantly, truck drivers must follow all traffic laws as well as laws specifically related to commercial trucking activity in Illinois. Truck drivers must also follow hours of service requirements set forth by the FMCSA in order to avoid fatigue driving. Failing to do so could lead to serious accidents. Truck drivers can also cause serious accidents if they operate their vehicle while impaired by alcohol drugs.
- Trucking companies. Truck owners and operators can also cause serious accidents to occur on the roadway. It is the responsibility of all truck owners and operators to properly inspect their vehicles according to the guidelines set forth by the FMCSA. If they do not do this, there is a chance that a large commercial truck could experience vehicle failure while traveling down the highway. Truck owners and operators also have a responsibility to ensure that all drivers are properly trained, and owners and operators must never pressure drivers to overload the vehicles or drive longer than the hours of service requirements allow.
Determining Liability After a Truck Accident Starts With Proper Documentation
Determining liability in the aftermath of a truck crash is vitally important when it comes to securing compensation for your losses. You can be sure that truck companies and drivers will do what they can to place a liability on anyone other than themselves. However, there are steps you can take right after an accident occurs to properly document the incident in order to help maximize your chances of securing compensation.
- Call 911 and seek medical attention. Regardless of how minor injuries may seem, you need to ensure that you seek medical attention immediately. This not only ensures your well-being, but also helps establish a link between the truck crash and your injuries.
- Take photos of the entire scene. Do what you can to use your phone or another camera to take photos of the crash, including any damage to vehicles, injuries, possible causes of the crash, and more.
- Get eyewitness contact information. If there were any eyewitnesses to the crash, be sure to get their names and contact information.
- Keep all medical records. You must keep all documentation of medical care and continue treatment with a physician until they say you have reached maximum medical improvement.
Things You Should Look for When Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
Securing an attorney soon after a truck crash occurs is important, as your attorney will have the legal experience and resources necessary to conduct a complete investigation into the accident. When you are looking for a truck accident attorney, keep the following in mind:
- Use an attorney with extensive truck accident litigation experience. There may be many personal injury attorneys in the Chicago area, but you need to find one who has handled these cases on a regular basis and had success.
- Find an attorney with a successful case history. No attorney wins every single case, but a good success rate is generally going to be important to helping you get the compensation you need.
- Look to see if the attorney you want to choose has won any awards or honors. Many attorneys have been awarded various achievements from their peers and other legal groups throughout Illinois and the United States. If a prospective attorney has many awards to their name, this is usually a good sign that they are respected and will properly handle your case.
How Much Compensation Is Available For A Truck Accident Claim?
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident that was caused by a truck driver or a trucking company’s negligence, seek legal assistance immediately. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our truck accident lawyers are ready to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident to secure all compensation you are entitled to. This could include:
- Coverage of all truck accident-related medical expenses
- Any lost income you incur if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the negligent driver or trucking company
Get In Touch With Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP Today
If you need a Chicago truck accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case or call (312) 781-1977.