Chicago Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Recover Compensation For Your Chicago Bike Accident
At Seidman Margulis & Fairman, LLP, we are proud to represent the rights and interests of bicyclists across Chicago and throughout the state who have been injured on Illinois streets.
Whether you rely on your bicycle as an economical and environmentally responsible commuting choice, or you are an amateur rider enjoying a weekend ride, if you have been injured by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, contact our Chicago bicycle accident attorneys today.
Bicycle Accident Resources
- Steps To Take After a Bike Accident in Chicago
- Compensation Available in a Bike Accident Lawsuit
- Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Chicago
- Free Consultation: Contact a Chicago Bike Accident Attorney
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident in Chicago, IL
Whether biking by the lake or in your neighborhood, the actions of an irresponsible or even malicious driver can cause serious injury or worse. Even if you aren’t hit by an automobile directly, if you are forced off the road by someone driving negligently then you may have a personal injury claim.
In cases where a bicycle accident involves a collision with a car, the results can be serious and potentially life-threatening. The reality is that bicycle accidents are on the rise. In Chicago, contact our bicycle accident lawyers if you have suffered due to someone else’s wrongdoing. We handle cases involving:
What Should I Do If I Have Been Involved in a Bike Accident?
In order to ensure maximum financial compensation in the aftermath, there are steps that victims can take to build a strong case.
- Seek medical care. Regardless of how minor or major the bicycle accident injury may seem, it is important for a victim to seek medical care as soon as possible. Not only will this ensure that the bicyclist is properly cared for, but this will also establish a link between the crash and the injuries.
- Notify the police. It is important somebody calls the police to the scene so that they can conduct a preliminary investigation into the cause of the incident.
- Gather evidence. If it is safe to do so at the scene of the accident, you should gather as much evidence as possible. Use a phone or another camera to take pictures of everything, including damages, injuries, causes of the crash, and more. Make sure to get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses to the bicycle crash, as well as the driver’s license and insurance information of other drivers involved.
- Contact an attorney. Speak to a skilled bicycle accident lawyer in Chicago about your case for a free consultation. An attorney will be able to guide you towards the best path to secure compensation for your case and will be able to gather evidence quickly if they decide to take your case.
- Continue medical care. Always continue receiving medical care from your doctor until you have reached maximum medical improvement.
What Compensation can an Injured Bicyclist Recover Under Illinois Law?
If you or somebody you love has been injured in a bicycle accident in Illinois, there may be various types of compensation available for your claim. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP our Chicago bicycle accident attorneys extensive experience helping victims recover the following types of economic and non-economic compensation:
- Coverage of all bicycle crash-related medical bills
- Recovery of lost income if a victim cannot work
- Loss of future earnings or earning potential in case of a disability
- Any out-of-pocket household expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment images
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent party
There is no set amount of money that is awarded bicycle accident victims in Illinois. Rather, the total amount of compensation a victim receives will vary depending on the circumstances surrounding each particular case. This includes what severity of the injuries, whether a victim can work, the amount of a victim’s pain and suffering, whether there is any shared liability, and more.
What Are Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Illinois?
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, there were more than 2,500 total bicycle crashes across the state during the latest reporting year. Out of these incidents, a significant percentage resulted in an injury or fatality. Unfortunately, drivers on the roadway often fail to give bicyclists the space they deserve on the roadway. Some of the most common causes of bicycle crashes include:
- Failure to yield to a bicyclist at an intersection
- Following a bicyclist too closely
- Passing a bicyclist too closely
- Dooring accidents where driver accidentally or intentionally opens their door into a bicyclist’s path
Bicyclists are also incredibly vulnerable to the negligent actions of drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs, as well as those distracted by their smartphones or other devices.
Fighting To Get You The Compensation You Deserve After a Bike Accident in Chicago
For nearly 40 years, Steven J. Seidman has been representing clients throughout Illinois in personal injury cases. Our firm brings practical experience, a commitment to recovering full compensation, and a proven record of success to every case.
Our local and experienced bicycle accident attorneys can help you and your family get the compensation you need to pay for medical costs, lost wages, suffering, and other damages associated with your bicycle accident in Chicago.
Experienced Chicago Bicycle Accident Lawyers
To put our proven track record and our unwavering commitment to recovering your full compensation behind your bicycle accident personal injury case, call our Chicago bicycle accident lawyers at (312) 781-1977 or reach us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
Our firm is proud to represent clients across the state, and if your injury prevents you from traveling, our attorney may be able to meet you in person.