Chicago Personal Injury Attorney
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the negligence by another person, then you know that an injury can change everything.
At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our skilled and experienced team is ready to help get you back on your feet after a serious injury. Our Chicago personal injury attorneys will investigate every aspect of your case in order to secure the compensation you are entitled to.
Why Choose Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP as Your Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers?
When you choose Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, you are getting a personal injury team with more than 100 years of combined legal experience.
- Our attorneys only focus on personal injury law, which gives us unique insights and a high level of specialization handling all types of personal injury claims.
- We are committed to providing each client with direct and honest communication. All cases are handled by our skilled team of attorneys, and we will not pass a client off onto a paralegal or junior assistant.
- Our law firm takes all Chicago personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients pay no upfront or out-of-pocket costs for their case. Clients only owe us legal fees after we secure the compensation they deserve.
Your Guide To Filing a Personal injury Lawsuit in Chicago
- Why Hire Our Personal Injury Lawyers
- Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims in Illinois
- Compensation Available In A Personal Injury Case
- Free Consultation: Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers Today
- 10 Tips For Maximum Compensation in Your Personal Injury Case
What Are The Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney in Chicago?
Personal injury claims in Cook county can become incredibly complicated, and injury victims often do not have the resources necessary to pursue maximum compensation. A skilled Chicago personal injury attorney will be able to:
- Obtain all evidence related to the injury (video or photo surveillance, accident reports, eyewitness statements, etc.).
- Work with trusted medical and economic professionals to properly assist a client’s total losses.
- Negotiate with all parties involved in order to secure full compensation for their client.
How Do Personal Injury Cases Arise In Chicago?
Injuries that are caused by other people’s negligence happen in a variety of ways in and around the Chicago area. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our Chicago personal injury lawyers handle all types of personal injury cases, including the following:
- Car accidents – Car accidents are not uncommon in and around the Chicago area, and our attorneys regularly help clients who have been injured due to other drivers’ negligence.
- Motorcycle accidents – Motorcyclists often sustained severe injuries in vehicle accidents caused by other drivers on the roadway. Often, vehicle drivers fail to properly yield to motorcyclists on the roadway.
- Truck accidents – Commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded, and this can lead to severe injuries if a truck driver or trucking company behaves negligently.
- Uber and Lyft accidents – Uber and Lyft drivers are just as likely as any other driver on the roadway to get into an accident. Unfortunately, determining liability and obtaining insurance compensation after a rideshare crash can be difficult.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrians often become injury victims due to negligent driving behavior, including failure to yield the right of way, impaired driving, distracted driving, and more.
- Bicycle accidents – Bicyclists are also incredibly vulnerable to injuries in accidents, particularly due to negligent drivers who fail to yield the right of way or operate while distracted or impaired.
- Injuries to children – Injuries to children often occur when property owners fail to secure their premises from attractive nuisances that may entice children to come onto their property.
- Premises liability incidents – Property owners have a duty to ensure the safety of their premises, and failing to do so could result in serious injuries to guests.
- Product Liability – Companies and manufacturers have a duty to ensure that their products are safe for consumers. This includes providing products that are free from design flaws, manufacturing errors, and labeling issues.
- Slip and fall accidents – Slip and fall incidents often occur because property owners and managers fail to take steps to remedy potentially hazardous slippery surfaces.
- Medical malpractice claims – Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the county. Patients who are harmed due to the negligence of a medical professional may be entitled to significant compensation.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect – Nursing home abuse and neglect are vastly underreported, though these incidents occur every day in the Chicago area. This can include physical abuse, sexual abuse, financial abuse, and neglect of basic necessities.
- Birth injuries – Birth injuries can be detrimental for both a mother and a child and often occur due to the careless or negligent actions of a medical provider.
- Dog bite incidents – Dogs can inflict significant damage on victims, and dog owners can be held liable for any injury their dog causes due to a bite incident.
- Workplace accidents – All workers should be entitled to receive compensation if they sustain an injury when they are on the job or performing work-related duties.
- Construction site injuries – Construction sites are inherently dangerous, and any worker injured on the job should be entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits.
Our Chicago, IL personal injury lawyers are ready to help any client who is injured due to the negligent actions of another person, company, or entity. Our law firm has the resources and experience to help you or a family member fight for compensation.
What Are The Most Common Types of Personal Injuries?
Injuries that occur in the types of incidents listed above vary widely. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our Chicago injury lawyers help clients who have sustained all of the following:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Open head wounds
- Burn injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- …and more
In many cases, we help clients who have sustained catastrophic injuries, which are injuries that significantly alter a person’s way of life. Catastrophic injuries can lead to permanent disabilities and keep a person from going to work or enjoying daily activities. In some cases, the injuries listed above cause permanent scarring or disfigurement as well as immense emotional and psychological trauma. Our law firm has extensive experience handling insurance companies and obtaining maximum compensation for our clients. Call us today for a free consultation.
How Do You Prove Liability In Chicago For A Personal Injury Claim?
One of the most difficult aspects of Chicago personal injury cases is proving liability. While the facts of every case are different, every successful personal injury claim will consist of the following elements:
- Duty. The injury victim (plaintiff) must prove that the negligent party (defendant) owed them a duty of care. The duty of care will look different depending on the situation. One example could be the duty of care that drivers owe to others around them on the roadway to operate safely. Another example can be the duty of care that a doctor has to treat their patients with an adequate level of care.
- Breach. The plaintiff needs to prove that the defendant somehow breached their duty of care. Following the driving example mentioned above, a driver who chooses to operate while intoxicated would be breaching their duty of care to others on the roadway.
- Causation. Simply breaching a duty of care is not enough to be successful in a personal injury case. It needs to be proven that the breach of duty actually caused the injuries involved. A plaintiff injured in an accident with an alleged drunk driver needs to prove is the intoxication contributed to the incident.
- Damages. Finally, it needs to be proven that the plaintiff sustained some sort of loss due to the injuries. This can include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering damages, and more.
What Is The Time Limit a Personal Injury Claim in Chicago, IL?
Each state is responsible for setting a time limit on how long victims have to file lawsuits against negligent parties to recover compensation for their losses. This time limit is called the statute of limitations. In Illinois, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is two years from the date the injury occurs. If an injury victim (the plaintiff) fails to file a lawsuit against the negligent party (the defendant) within this two-year timeframe, they will lose the ability to recover compensation.
What Kind Of Compensation Is Available For Chicago Personal Injury Claims?
There are various types of compensation that may be available through a successful verdict or settlement in a personal injury case. While the total amount of compensation a victim is awarded will vary depending on the factors of each specific case, it is not uncommon for our personal injury attorneys in Chicago to help clients secure the following:
- Compensation for all medical expenses related to their injuries
- Lost wages and benefits if they cannot work while they recover
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Possible punitive damages in cases of gross negligence or intentional actions
Our Multi-Million-Dollar Personal Injury Case Results:
- $25.6m gross verdict: Trucker run over by co-employee. Verdict against the landowner for improper traffic control
- $8.1 million: Pedestrian accident settlement resulting from a 35-year-old man being struck by a dump truck. This settlement is the highest reported verdict or settlement for a pedestrian in the history of Lake County, Illinois.
- $7.3 million: Burn injury to a worker from a defective product
- $6.75 million: Death of child and injury to a driver resulting from an auto accident
- $6 million: Police officer injured in the line of duty. Believed to be one of the largest, if not the largest, settlement for a workers’ compensation case in Illinois history.
- More: Case Results
For More Information: Your Guide to Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Illinois
Contact An Injury Attorney at Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP Today
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the negligence of another person, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Seidman, Margulis & Fairman, LLP, our knowledgeable and experienced team of injury lawyers are ready to investigate every aspect of your case in order to secure the compensation you need.
Let our Chicago personal injury attorneys get to work on your case today. You can contact us for a free consultation of your case or call (312) 781-1977.
10 Tips for Maximizing Compensation in Your Chicago Personal Injury Case
- Seek medical care. Regardless of how major or minor your injuries may seem, you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible after sustaining an injury. By getting your injuries on record with the doctor, you will ensure your well-being while also establishing a link between your injuries in the incident
- Report the incident. You must report your injuries to the appropriate person. This could include a property owner or property manager, your employer, etc.
- Call the police (if applicable). If you were injured in a car accident or sustained a severe injury of any kind, you may need to report the incident to the police. Law enforcement officials will conduct an investigation and generate a report that can be used for your claim.
- Gather evidence. If you are able to do so after sustaining an injury, use a phone or other device to take photographs of any damages, injuries, causes of the injury, etc. Get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses.
- Be wary of insurance companies. If you are contacted by insurance carriers for the at-fault party, you should limit your communication with them. Refuse to give any recorded statements and do not sign over any medical records.
- Keep a journal. If you sustained an injury, keep a journal that documents your daily recovery. This includes medical visits as well as your daily level of pain and suffering.
- Keep track of all expenses. You need to keep track of all expenses you incur due to the personal injury. This includes medical bills, lost income, general household out-of-pocket expenses, and more.
- Speak to an attorney immediately. You should speak to a skilled personal injury attorney as soon after you have sustained an injury caused by another party. An attorney will do what they can to preserve evidence, work with insurance carriers, and secure the compensation you need.
- Stay away from social media. Be wary of what you post on social media after you sustain an injury. Attorneys and insurance carriers will monitor your social media for any evidence that your injuries are not as severe as you claim.
- Continue all medical follow up visits. You need to continue going to all follow-up medical visits until your doctor has determined you have reached maximum medical recovery. Failure to do so could result in your claim being denied.
Client Testimonial: 5/5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“This is one of the finest law firms I have ever dealt with.”
More Client Testimonials