What to Look for in a Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident caused by the actions of another driver in Illinois, you should be entitled to compensation for losses. Most car accident cases are resolved through settlements with insurance carriers, but that is not always an easy process. There are times when insurance carriers are aggressive and refuse to offer fair settlements. They could even deny a claim altogether. When that occurs, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit against the alleged negligent driver. A skilled Chicago car accident lawyer can help you get through this entire process, but you need to choose your attorney carefully.
When Should You Get an Attorney for a Car Accident?
You should consider seeking assistance from a car accident attorney in the immediate aftermath of a collision. As soon as any medical emergency has been handled, you should call an attorney and schedule a free consultation of your case. If another driver was responsible for the car accident, you will want your attorney to begin investigating the incident immediately. The earlier you involve an attorney in your case, the more likely you are to receive maximum compensation for your claim.
Key Elements You Need to Seek Out in Car Accident Lawyer
When you are searching for the right car accident lawyer to handle your case, there are some key factors we want you to consider.
- Find an attorney with experience handling your type of case. There are many attorneys in and around the Chicago area, but not all of them have experience handling complex car accident cases. You want an attorney with a track record of success handling vehicle accident cases.
- You need an attorney willing to take your case to trial. You do not want an attorney that is only looking to settle your case quickly so they can get compensation faster. Often, a quick settlement is not going to benefit you or your family. Taking a case to trial may be the only way to obtain maximum compensation, so find an attorney that is willing to stick with you throughout this process.
- Get an attorney that works on a contingency fee basis. You should find a car accident lawyer who will take your case on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not face any upfront or out-of-pocket costs related to your case and will only pay legal fees after your attorney obtains the compensation you deserve.
- Find an attorney who handles your case personally. Often, law firms will use “big name” attorneys in order to draw clients in, but that will not actually be the attorney handling the case. Sometimes, these cases are handed off to less experienced attorneys or even paralegals to resolve. You want an attorney who is going to handle your case personally from start to finish.
- Read the reviews. As you are searching for the right car accident lawyer to handle your case in Illinois, read the reviews about each attorney you are considering. For any experienced car accident lawyer, you should be able to find various reviews posted by clients about them online. We are not talking about just the reviews on the attorney’s website, but also the reviews posted on other sites as well.
- Make sure you are comfortable. Finally, if you meet with an attorney and you are simply not comfortable with them, then they are not the one for you. Your attorney is going to get to know every aspect of your case as well as fairly intimate details about your life. You need to be comfortable with this person.